Come join our Woolly Army! *Applications on hold due to Covid-19*
We are looking for seasonal workers to join us over Summer when the days are longer, warmer and our Alpaca’s and Llama’s need more walks and fun times. We have over 125 alpaca’s and llama’s and things can get pretty busy so we need you to be able to start in March and be with us through until October. We will also be looking for more full-time people soon, so this could be your chance to get a foot in the door!
Reporting to: Our Alpacaly Leaders, Terry, Emma and Ruby
Job role: Alpacaly Team Member – seasonal part-time and full-time work
Seasonal Work Period: March through to October
Pay: Starting wage of £18,000 pa
What you will be doing:
- Meeting and greeting our customers and taking them on walks, sharing valuable information about our Woolly Army and ensuring everyone has a good experience. Our customers include people that live in Cumbria, visitors to the area and our Social Enterprise groups like schools, veterans and 3rd sector organisations.
- Looking after our alpaca’s and llama’s, making sure they are fed, have water, their pens are clean and that they are safe and secure.
- You will be outside from 8.30 through to 5.30pm everyday, in all weather and need to be happy to complete daily chores, be an ambassador for our company and look after the health and safety of customers and animals.
- You will be walking up to 8 miles a day, moving hay bales and buckets of feed for the alpaca’s and llamas so a good level of fitness is required, or will be achieved!
- We have several locations around Keswick and you will be expected to be able to get to all of them so a drivers licence, car and good time keeping are essential.
What you will get:
- An amazing opportunity to work with these beautiful animals. Most of our Woolly Army are rescued and we have also started a breeding program so we have our own cria (baby alpaca’s and llama’s) joining our herd. We will teach you everything we know about these animals to ensure they are happy, healthy and trained up to walk and trek here in the Lake District.
- You get to work in the Lake District, it’s a beautiful part of the World with lots of mountains, lakes and a great way of life. Our weather is fairly unpredictable and we do get a lot of rain but we also have amazing warm, clear days, you need to be comfortable outside in all weather.
- With the weather in mind, we ensure you have a great uniform to wear, supplied by eco’ friendly brand Fjallraven. We provide full waterproof layers, gloves and the ability to launder your uniform at our secret headquarters.
- We also make sure you have a chance to relax and recover, if you want to take advantage of our Armathwaite Hall Spa passes, you could be in a hot tub at the end of every day.
- All of our walks are based out of great locations; Lingholm Estate, Whinlatter Forest Park and the Lakes Distillery, all of these properties give us/you free parking and a discount in their cafes and restaurants.
- Finally, you get to work with a great team of people who are passionate about the animals, the Lake District and part of a Social Enterprise that prides itself on rescuing animals, working with the community and is growing stronger every year.
Your Main Role
- Maintain a positive, professional, customer focused attitude at all times.
- Ensure safety and welfare of animals and customers at all times.
- Be presentable at all times, wearing any uniform provided by the company.
- Work with the Alpacaly Team to ensure the content of guided walks is informative, entertaining and factually correct.
- Carry out appropriate duties as requested by the Alpacaly Team Supervisor or Directors.
- Lead groups of up to 12 alpaca’s and llamas on guided walks.
- Deliver ‘Meet the Alpaca’ sessions for up to 30 people.
- Maintain a good level of fitness and be able to carry out physically strenuous tasks including lifting up to 25kg.
- Get to know the animals and be able to assess their basic health and behaviour and recognise if there are any issues and report back to the Alpaca Directors immediately.
You must have these
- Previous experience with animals and ideally a love of alpaca’s and llama’s.
- Customer skills and experience with groups, individuals and people with a range of personal needs.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to ensure our social enterprise company is represented in a positive and professional manner at all times.
- Happy outside in all weather with good levels of fitness and strength.
- Full UK drivers licence.
- Calm and confident in challenging situations – we will give you training in animal handling.
- Practical problem solving skills.
- Be honest, hardworking and with good time management skills.
- Able to work flexible hours helping us to ensure that animal welfare is a priority.
Bonus Points for these
- Mountain Leader Qualifications
- Animal Care qualifications or previous jobs with animals
- Current First Aid Qualification
- DBS check
- Trailer qualification
- Knowledge of Social Enterprises